Looking at the raw numbers for the “47 million uninsured” number:
- 18 million: Can afford it but have not purchased it
- 8.4 million: 18-25 years old
- 12.6 million: Illegal aliens
- 9.4 million: between jobs and temporarily uninsured
- 8 million: Kids covered, but parents haven’t signed them up
- 3.5 million: eligible for government health programs, but not signed up.
There is some overlap between the figures so the total is nearly 60 million, but anyone who looks at the numbers can see that the 47 million figure is just meant to make the problem seem like something that it is not.
[Note that the numbers will obviously vary day-to-day and month-to-month, but the broad picture has been the same for years.]