The best so-called “End of the World” type novels that have some basis in reality:
[updated, as new good books need to be added]
1. One Second After by William R. Forstchen  – EMP (Electro-Magnetic Pulse) hits the United States, what happens next?
2. Alas, Babylon, Pat Frank (1959) – Nuclear war in the 1950s-1960s
3.The Last Ship, William Brinkley (1988) – nuclear war, and the aftermath on a ship.
4. Lucifer’s Hammer, Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle (1977) – disaster comes from the sky.
5. On The Beach, Nevil Shute (1957). Nuclear war.
6. Earth Abides, George R. Steward (1949) – disease
7. The Stand, Stephen King
8. Dies the Fire, S.M. Stirling
Have any that you would add? Let us know below!